Capture, Import, Convert, Edit, Save, Add Metadata, Upload to FB/YouTube - ALL in ONE post!

I couldn’t find everything I needed to know in ONE post in ONE place. So here it is… based on editing with Premiere Pro on a Mac…

1. It may be important that a specific person or area of the video displays on YouTube at the beginning. Note that the center position of the Fly frame is 90 degrees to the left of the blue button as you are facing the button (if assembly is the same on all cameras, this should be true for yours too). So, if you are looking directly at the camera, and the button is facing to the right, you’re on target.

2. Connect the camera to the computer, and navigate to the DCIM/100_3FLY folder.

3. Locate the footage you want, and drag the MP4 to a folder on your computer.

4. Open 360 Director.

5. Click on the Settings tab, and click the check box “Save Shared Social Export Videos in Your Library.”

6. Still in Settings, select “3840 x 1920” from the “Social Export Settings” pulldown. Why not get the BEST quality?

7. Click on the “Videos” tab.

8. From the finder, drag the desired MP4 video file into the Director window.

9. Select the Import icon, and import the file.

10. When the imported file appears in the Director window, move the mouse over the thumbnail. Three icons will appear.

11. Hold down the OPTION key, and click on the “Share” icon.

12. Select the folder where you want to store the saved video, and click OPEN.

13. Director will process the video. This can take a while, depending on the length.

14. When it’s is done converting, select the button to display the file in the browser. Look for the file under its original filename, but with “3840x1920” appended. This is the file you will import into Adobe Premiere for editing.

15. Import the file into a new Premiere project, and make the necessary edits. Aside from cuts or synching up audio recorded on another device, I like to use Lumetri to make color and other image adjustments.

16. Export the edited video. Make sure the export format matches the input format and size (h.264 mp4, 3840 x 1920, 28 Mbps data rate, 24 fps)

17. The resulting video will be the video you upload to YouTube. Almost.

18. You need to inject the metadata so YouTube (or FaceBook) displays the video correctly. Run the Spatial Media Metadata Injector (it’s a free download – just Google it).

19. In the injector tool, click OPEN, and select the edited file you just saved in Premiere.

20. ONLY the “My video is spherical (360)” check box should be checked.

21. Click “Inject metadata.”

22. Save the file – the injector will append “Injected” to the filename.

23. Upload the injected video to YouTube.

24. When YouTube has completed uploading and processing the video, it’s ready to view in most browsers (not Safari), or the YouTube app on your SmartPhone.

That’s it!

Video Out of Director to youtube is not 360

What specific issues were you having from the start?

For my editing i have just exported the video to my desktop, importing to premier pro, exporting to desktop, and then reimporting back to director. From there I have only uploaded directly to 360 Fly. Is there an issue when you’re trying to import from Director to Youtube?

There’s no issue importing from Director to Youtube - but the first time I tried to re-import back into Director after editing, I got an error message. I’m sure it was me, but I just thought it was easier to come up with a process that bypassed Director.

Shoot, Share , Swipe, its just that easy…plus 21 extra steps.

That’s the same editing process that I was using and it seems to be working fine, EXCEPT that once I bring the edited video back into director to try and share it to 360fly, it seems like it’s processing but will never upload (injected or otherwise). When I try to upload the edited video to the 360fly site directly, it tells me that the file is ‘not a native format’. How can I get my edit uploaded to 360fly?

Lengthy explanation but some people need that. “liked”.
(I sometimes have to write tutorials as part my my job so I feel your pain).

Note: The latest version of Premier has VR video meta data injection options built in, so there’s no need to use the tool.

It also has upload to YouTube features, but I still do it manually myself.

So I merged 360fly 4k video that I shot at 2880 x 2880 30 fps and exported a flattened (equirectangular) video using the 360fly director program. What resolution does my sequence in Adobe premiere have to be so that I can export it, be able to upload it and view it on YouTube/Facebook in 360? Basically looking for the best possible resolution and a pre-set for my future 4k 360 videos.

If you’ve exported from Director at the highest setting, Let Premier “match source” and that will set your project up with the same framerate and resolution.

On export, also select “same as source” I think the option is. This will ensure that EVERYTHING matches. Not just the resolution, but the codecs in use also.

If you’re on the latest version of Premier, ensure you use the VR video options to embed the required metadata for YouTube to know it’s a 360 Video.

If not, use the metadata injector tool as detailed in the original post in this thread.

Resolutions are also detailed in the original post above.

Chris, I did exactly what you said and it still came out looking weird with
a whole chunk missing.
I’ll go back to checking my specs on my sequence. If you know anything else
that could help that would be great. Otherwise, I’m back to square one.

Can you post a link in here to your final result?

I ended up deleting it. I’m gonna try everything from the beginning following the instructions from above. If it still has issues I will let you know and I’ll Upload the link. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for this! Seems like it will be incredibly useful. All good up for me until I’m exporting in Premiere. I keep getting an error that says “File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure. Reading and writing this file’s meta data has been disabled.” The exported files are tiny and seem to contain no video. Let me know if you have any thoughts on how I’m screwing this up. Thanks again!