360fly Printable Tether Ring

A number of our racers out there have requested a way to tether the camera. Here is a DIY Tether ring you can print out and use.

Before proceeding, there are a few points you need to understand and acknowledge. Your use of the file to print any accessory is acceptance of the below conditions.

• This program is experimental and still under development
  • Any printed accessories are solely for your own personal use
  • Any accessory that you print is at your own risk
  • Damages caused to your camera by the accessory or otherwise when using the accessory will not be covered by the product warranty
  • 360fly will not be liable for any damage to you or others caused by the use of the accessory

Printable Tether Ring

Design 1

360fly 3D Printable Tether Adaptor - Design 1.stl (932.5 KB)

Design 2

360fly 3D Printable Tether Adaptor.pdf (1.8 MB)

360fly 3D Printable Tether Adaptor - Design 2.stl (126.5 KB)

I printed this the other day. The area where the bolts go through should be redesigned. In the very first few layers, the printer is cantilevering filament to build out the bulge where the bolts go through. It would be much better if that was more vertical. The reason is the plastic for each layer in the cantilever is lifting vertically when it cools slightly after it is deposited. The print would be cleaner and the holes would be more round if you just made that part more vertical.

Thanks for the feedback. I passed it over to our mechanical lead. I will let you know if he makes a change.

thanks 360FLY! So far its been working great and the CMRA has no issues with tether. https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14449063_1594798997483317_328656762397007488_n.jpg?oh=25e57c9ebc8fd6cb6c5fe6edd3fc65c9&oe=59216E88

Hi guys, I’d love one of those for my Hydrofoil board but I have no access to a 3d printer. Anyone interested in printing me one and I will reimburse you for the trouble?
I can;t believe they didn’t think of this…
Vasco 61420363443

Thanks for the 3d design! Submitted a print order via 3dhubs for the tether ring and ordered the nuts&bolts via a webshop. Works great!

Material used: ColorFabb XT
Layer height: 150

Looks nice. Thanks for sharing.

Are either of these for the HD version not the 4k?

This will work with both HD and 4K. Same dimensions.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

Glenn,
What is the licensing on this STL? You don’t state whether it has any or creative commons or its public domain. I wanted to make sure I respected your property rights by using the correct licensing model on anything I share as a derivative if I post it to somewhere like Thingiverse.

Any chance I could convince yall to make a thingiverse account and post these models there? Then I could mark any of your designs as source material so credit licenses are properly applied.

Either i am missing something or just not understanding, how does everyone have 3d printers??? Is there some inexpensive one or “personal” one that I am missing??? Please advise as I would love one of these Thanks in advance

Wolfie, I will check with the team and see what we can do. I like the idea.

I am working on some mounting options for the fly and I will likely end up using the ring as a cutter since you haven’t responded to either PM I sent you asking for a STL of the fly itself for use as a boolean cutter. Short of finding someone to do a 3D scan of the darn thing, I don’t see any other practical way to model it given its crazy polygonal shape.

When I publish the meshes for folks here to print, I need to match your licensing as mine will clearly be a derivative if I use it as a cutter. I am trying to respect any licenses you intend to place on it. I just need to know what they are :slight_smile: Its clear you intend for us to use it to print by the simple fact you put it up for download, but you have not stated your intentions toward making additional parts using it as source material.

You are welcome to browse my other published things to see that I, indeed, do credit other’s works even if its used only in a small way:

Also, can you confirm that the fly camera, when placed in the base rests totally on the base ring and those two two semicircular tabs on the bottom? It is not supported by the electrical contacts, correct? I mean if its setting on a desk in the base and you push down on the top of the camera forcing it down, it will not compress the contacts any more than it did just sitting there on its own. Am I correct here?

It appears that its supported by the cutout in the base and possibly those two rounded notches/tabs on the flat base between the two arcs of contacts. Lightly squeezing mine does not appear to make it move but I wanted to confirm with yall that my observations are correct.

Wolfie, I am checking with our legal team. They will review and let me know and I will get back to you. I went out to Thingiverse and set up a profile this morning. I will try to upload.

Also, can you confirm that the fly camera, when placed in the base rests totally on the base ring and those two two semicircular tabs on the bottom? It is not supported by the electrical contacts, correct? I mean if its setting on a desk in the base and you push down on the top of the camera forcing it down, it will not compress the contacts any more than it did just sitting there on its own. Am I correct here?

That is correct they will not compress anymore. There are magnets that pull it down to the base and align.

Perfect. I am working on a design that will hold the fly to the base and provide a 1/4-20 on the bottom so the fly can be powered for longer periods of time via the base’s USB but still mounted to something. Should make for a nice mount for doing long time lapse events or situations where you need it to run for more than the internal battery is capable of.

An example situation where the mount would be nice would be that its inaccessible due to mounting position or location until the end of an event like a volleyball tournament, race or rally. You can’t get out onto the court until the all the play is over or you can’t access a race course until the event is over for safety reasons.

Are you doing this for your own personal use or are you looking to manufacture and sell?

Personal. I don’t sell anything.

Which is why I was referring to Thingiverse which is where the models will be uploaded to for everyone to print.